Souvenirs 4/6 -toys-clothing&footwear-jewelry
Will you choose toys, clothing, footwear & jewelry as souvenirs? Taking for granted that you have children, then toys, hats and T-shirts are a necessity. So, choose between the below useful souvenirs or just for pleasure.
Worry-quaint beads / kompoloi
Beads which they are going back and forth in a string, making sound. Choose this nice gift for a colleague, a gentleman friend of yours or your father. Pick a fancy colorful ornated kompoloi with beads in their favorite color. Additionally, there are many materials to make a worry-bead. Wood, coral, glass. Although amber is the most common material. Regularly, it prevails to exist an odd number of beads in a silk cord. Certainly, it is the perfect gift for someone who want to quit smoking. This playing with the beads is really relaxing and stress-reducing. Above all, there are many stores which exclusively selling kompoloi around Monastiraki square and Psirri area. Consequently, you will find them easily.
Did you find the opportunity to go for dancing sirtaki or hearing rebetika songs in some tavern? I am sure, that you noticed the lead bouzouki player to have a kompoloi.
Did you find the opportunity to go to the 1st capital of Greece? Nafplio? There is a kompoloi museum there.
You can also purchase this for a lady. It is not a useful souvenir, but there are bigger ones that can display them as a home decoration.
Tavli is our Greek backgammon leisure board game for every age. Even I know how to play portes (doors) and plakoto (flattened) on tavli, even though I do not like the noise. I do not know though how to play fevga (go away). EMot importantly, every coffee place in Greece has at least 2-3 of these to borrow customers. At Ifestou street which starts from Monastiraki square, you will find many tavli shops. Normally, they are making tavli from wood with 30 ivory checkers and dices. If you do not have enough space to your suitcase, you can choose a small one.
This figurine is our most famous shadow puppet. The basic scenario refers to a poor Greek man during the slavery from the turks. It narrates his struggles to feed his family (wife and 3sons) with irregular ways often enough. Nowdays, we are calling someone karagiozi, when we want to say that he is not a serious person. Or his behavior looks like that of a clown. One of the most much-said phrases of his is: <<We’ll eat, we’ll drink, but we will sleep hungry>>. We are still saying this phrase on those current days.
Clothes – Shoes
- In Greece there are many fans about soccer. Consequently, there are many shops selling sports paraphernalia. It’s a great present for your son or his friends or even your colleague and cousin. Do not think that you can only buy Olympiakos, Panathinaikos or AEK’s shirt. In addition, you can find from all over the world’s team sports. Choose between scarfs, key-chain, hats, mini sport cups, pen, shirts etc.. The official stores are outside the stadiums. However, at Athinas street or at Thissio neighborhood you will find many shops.
- Handmade leather sandals. At Monastiraki and Plaka areas there are many stores to buy handmade leather sandals. Not only for women but also for men. Try the stores at Andrianou and Ifestou street, which are open all day. Even on weekends. I believe that there are the most useful souvenirs of all.
Most importantly, if you have time, you can head for the Psirri area. Over there, you can give your preference in color or the rhinestones you want or the shape. As a result, the next day, the sandal maker will have it ready for you in high quality. You can choose whatever you want. Or else, you could go to the famous poet sandal maker Melissinos at 2 Agias Theklas street/16 Tzireon street. He is famous, because his clientele is famous. That is to say, many Greek and foreign celebrities have visited him. From Beatles, Onassis, Jackie O, Bob Saget from Full/Fuller House, Barbra Streizand & Sofia Loren. We can go on and go on with Maria Callas, Sarah Jessica Parker and many-many more. In conclusion, consider it a gift for you to wrangle around the city with these comfortable shoes.
- Of course, there are all these ordinary useful products which you can buy to bring home. T-shirts with our flag or cartoons and funny things, hats, glasses or hoodies with Zeus shaking the lightning. I believe that you will definitely find useful a hat or a leather pouch or a bottle-case. Especially, if you choose to wander around seeing the city.
- You will be amazed by the shops at Plaka with real furs. Therefore, there are many designs and colors to interest you. Take a glimpse, if you have enough space at your luggage. For instance, in Athens we have the biggest sales in January and August. Take advantage of this if you are here at these periods for such a big purchase.
- Do you want a fine piece of jewelry? At Plaka there are many-many shops to find whatever you want to gift yourselves. Xaxaa! We deserve it, I believe. Precious metals making spirals or meanders. On the other hand, if you prefer semi-precious metals and you do not pay them more tat the stores, you can choose the craftspeople. Few meters away at Apostolou Pavlou in Thissio district, you will find many of these making their bracelets and pendants in front of you.
Did you find useful souvenirs to purchase from the above list? I hope so.
You can continue reading all the categories of souvenirs from Greece following this article:
- Sweets and confectionery
- Soft drinks
- Home decorative
- Personal items
Choose your favorite category and click it to see the souvenir choices, depends on your buying preferences.