I love Athens
Why do I love Athens?
Occasionally, some foreign tourists used to ask me why do I love Athens. Maybe Athens seems to be just another gigantic and ugly loud big city, for you. But to me, it is my city, my hometown, my soul. That’s the reason why I indeed love Athens.
It attracts me with many ways, mostly exploratory ones. Because every time you will discover something new inside this vibrant city.
Most importantly, the soul of Athens has diversity. Whatever type you have, you will definitely be amazed from something of your preference. Athens is quiet, yet it is loud. Athens is relaxed. But also, Athens can be stressful.
However undoubtedly Athens is defined by its different types of people. You will meet different cultures with different traditions. These are crossed, converge and mingling with easygoingness. Moreover, I believe that the spirit of Athens characterized by its adaptability. And always, it adapts under the hot sunshine.
I do love Athens because:
- it is Athens.- (Does this makes sense to you as it makes to me? Or it is all Greek to you? Har…Har…)
- of the vintage shops at these picturesque roads of Plaka, Monastiraki and Psirri.
- it is becoming more and more environmentally friendly with more bicycles and recycling-compost bins.
- of the all-year wonderful summer-ish weather. Even on October and November you can have 27o C/80,6οF sometimes.
- you can always discover something new: new coffee places for laziness with frappé and food markets or new restaurants.
- of its ancient history. Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world and the 9th largest city in the EU. Its history is recorded from up to 3,200 BC.
- of its topography with variety in mountains, hills, urban center or even seaside with the Athenian Riviera to cool you down from the heat of Greece’s hot sun. (Do not forget to read my article about the main hills.)
- of its cultural atmosphere and life. There are around 180 theaters and many music events are organized onto performance spaces and music venues. New art galleries and design studios are popping up every week to intrigue and finally blow up your mind.
I do love Athens for:
- its 24hr alive life with all these parties, art exhibitions and street performances.
- its sea and the Athenian Riviera. You can clear up your mind, if you choose to walk next to the waves.
- its Sunday walks to the hills of Acropolis, Lycabettus and Filopappou. (Do not forget to read my article about the main hills.)
- its port of Peiraeus inside the city. You can grab a ferry boat and you will automatically found yourself to a heavenly Greek island for vacations. So-so convenient.
- its lush nightlife. Until dawn you can party at the bars or clubs. There are about 90 nightspots. I am sure that you’re gonna love the terrace summer parties with the breath-taking view of Acropolis.
- its various neighborhoods. You can separate the contemporary alternative up-coming neighborhoods with many graffities like Gazi from a cozy neighborhood with pine and orange trees at the streets like Nea Smyrni & Palaio Faliro or one with detached houses with gardens like Kifissia.
- its gastronomy. There are many different cuisines to taste like Italian, Chinese, Cantonese, Russian etc.. Of course, first you have to taste the culinary traditions and practices of Greece. Do feel comfortable to taste our delicious moussaka, spanakopita, olives, fava, tzatziki, loukoumades and many more. All these, with fresh herbs. (Do not forget to read my article about our belief about food.)
Every friend of mine seeks for decentralization, but Athens still attracts me in its own peculiar way. In other words, we never know what the future holds for us, but for now you will find me in Athens.
Meanwhile, feel free to write down under this article why do you love Athens, if you have visited it before. Or what do you want to see whenever you will visit.